MRI Technologist MRI (Job ID: 2182)
Unity Health Toronto, comprised of Providence Healthcare, St. Joseph's Health Centre and St. Michael's Hospital, works to advance the health of everyone in our urban communities and beyond. Our health network serves patients, residents and clients across the full spectrum of care, spanning primary care, secondary community care, tertiary and quaternary care services to post-acute through rehabilitation, palliative care and long-term care, while investing in world-class research and education. Join our team in our mission to continue to put patients and families at the centre of everything we do, in the role of MRI Technologist.
As an integral member of the MRI Team, the incumbent will perform routine and complex MR exams in accordance with the protocols and policies of St. Joseph's Health Centre and the standards of practice defined by the College of Medical Radiation and Imaging Technologists of Ontario (CMRITO). Complex exams may include: monitoring by the Radiologist, vascular injection of paramagnetic contrast media, use of MRI equipment, MR Safe power injectors, MR Safe patient monitoring devices for critically ill or general anaesthestic cases.
The MR Technologist must have a good understanding and working knowledge of human cross-sectional anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology and medical terminology. They must perform MRI exams of various body systems and protocols: neurological, musculoskeletal, abdominal, pelvic, oncological, breast imaging, enterography, etc. They must use professional and ethical judgment and critical thinking when performing all duties, remain sensitive to physical and emotional needs of the patient through good communication, patient assessment and education, patient monitoring and patient care skills.
The MR Technologist is responsible for ensuring patient and staff safety in the MR environment following strict screening policies and maintaining close supervision, allowing/preventing entry of non-ferromagnetic/ferromagnetic objects and personnel and visitors.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality diagnostic images and post-processing reformats
- Demonstrated commitment to patient and family centered principles and care
- Demonstrated ability to ensure patient and staff safety in the MR Environment
- Proven ability to accept and carry out oral and written instructions accurately
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills to communicate effectively and diplomatically with patients, visitors, staff, clinicians, and others in-person, electronically and over the telephone.
- Possess excellent communication skills both verbal and written with persons of various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds in order to obtain necessary information accurately and also explain clinical procedures and practices
- Protocol MR exams as per the Medical Directive and prioritize tasks and patient case workload
- Ability to work independently and as a team member to maximize scanner utilization and efficient workflow
- Operate, maintain and troubleshoot MRI and ancillary equipment and report any issues in a timely manner
- Perform accurate and consistent documentation for the MR exams and relevant information pertaining to the patient's care
- Adhere to departmental and hospital policies and procedures
- Participate in learner education and new staff training
- Performing cross-functional responsibilities as assigned, or requested; performing other duties related to the job classification, as required
- Proven ability to multi-task and work independently in a fast paced environment
- Registration with the College of Medical Radiation and Imaging Technologists of Ontario (CMRITO) required
- MRT (MR) (Magnetic Resonance) designation required
- Current BCLS (Basic Cardiac Life Support) certification required
- Membership with the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT) required
- Completion of the following courses: cross-sectional anatomy, IV Administration and Contrast Injection required
- Effective time management, organizational and prioritization skills
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, demanding and stressful environment
- Ability to work various shifts, on-call shifts and short-notice shifts
- Ability to make decisions, problem solve and take initiative
- Ability to work independently and in team environment
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Recent related MR Technologist experience in a hospital environment
- Excellent work performance and attendance record
- Excellent critical thinking, multi-tasking and judgement skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and conflict management skills
- Excellent teaching skills
- Maintain continuing education and stay current on future trends in MRI
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. All internal candidates must be in compliance with Unity Health Toronto¿s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.